Sunday, June 02, 2013

Dragonfly Wings for Emmalee



Whenever someone says, "Let me tell you a story," our ears perk up and we're ready to listen.  If someone says, "Have a seat and and I will give you step-by-step instructions,"  we aren't as prone to listen very closely.  Stories give us the ability to read between the lines, awaken our creative potential and are less threatening to our innate desire to want to choose our own destiny.  If the story is doesn't keep your interest however, you might as well go back to the step-by-step instructions.

I started Emm's story, Dragonfly Wings for Emmalee, with the statement, "When I saw Emmalee take her last breath, I was forever changed."  I have heard some rumblings from people about why I gave away the fact that Emmalee died in the first sentence of the book.  My answer is, I was inspired about that being the first line of the book.  I am not exactly certain why, and yes, I blew the ending to the book.

It is the non-traditional way to start a book like this, but I have had so many people tell me, they can't put the book down.  Why is that?  I think it is because there are information gaps that people want to fill.  The most important is, what happened?  The story I want people to know is, how did Emmalee live, knowing she was going to die?

She was full of faith but her story is not the typical cancer story that she was always positive and looked cancer in the face and laughed.  Fear of the unknown was overwhelming at times for all of us.  Emm's story is a raw account of what it is like to live with a bomb inside, not knowing when it is going to explode.  It is intense, but inspiring and will help you want to be a better person.  Love is the key to life and is the only thing that holds this world together.

Her story will strengthen you forever!

Thanks,

Steve (Emm's dad)

      


1 comment:

Jennifer Rodriguez said...

Steve,

I love the way you began this story because it is YOUR story about your daughter. You give people so much more than that first sentence throughout the entire book. I felt your pain, your joy, and Emmalee's struggle with every page I turned. Sharing this story is a wonderful gift to parents who lose children and others who truly empathize with families who are affected by pediatric cancer. Fight on & continue keeping your daughter's memory :)